This is one of those exercises everyone should do once in a while. Write down what you like about people that you meet and write down things you don’t like about people. You’ll see a pattern and inevitably, learn a lot about who you are in the process.
Here’s my take on things I don’t like about people (at least today’s version):
I don’t do well around the “glass is half-empty” kind of thinking. Cynical. Pessimistic. Negative. Clearly, there should be a balance, right? I mean I don’t want to be around people who think life is always rainbows, butterflies, and unicorns either. But there are people, although I find them fascinating on so many levels, who just can’t see light in anything. They really think the world is a bad place and no matter what you do, it will always be a bad place.
These are not my people.
Worse than being solidly a negative soul on the planet, is the inability to take responsibility for your own part in why the world functions the way it does. This negative stance always comes with a side of “it’s everyone else’s fault because…”. People always looking for a problem to solve, will inevitably find it. And they always find it, outside of themselves. It never has anything to do with themselves. It’s always everyone else’s fault. Oy!
Other things I don’t like about some people:
- Know-it-alls. Always being the smartest person in the room, makes you look like an ass. Actually, if you were the smartest person in the room, you’d know that simple fact. Meh.
- People who can’t shut up and listen. Look, I talk a lot as well. But my gift, is that I listen intently to people. People want to be heard, and they are less likely to listen to you constantly talking out your ass about everything, all the time, no matter who you are. STFU!
- People who need to debate every single thing. I’m so over these people (eye roll).
- People who are condescending. If you talk down to people, I don’t care who they are, you do not belong anywhere near my world. Being respectful is a thing.
- If you lack courage, but talk about all the things you would do if this and that happened? You are not my people. You are a liar and a fool. People who have courage, do not talk about what they would do IF. Period.
- Liars. There are little lies – but if you LIE about the things that matter, especially to save your own butt, you need to find a door and show yourself out.
- People obsessed with weight and looks. Don’t get me wrong, I’m aware we all have our issues, and I’m no different. But if you’re that person who is always talking about being “fat” or “getting old” because you have a few wrinkles, please… move along. Honestly, we’re grown folk here.
Oh, there are so many more I listed today, but this gives you an idea, and here’s part of what I learned:
I like confident people. People who are so confident, they don’t need to prove themselves over and over again. Being confident, with a dose of humility, and a big gulp of maturity... yup, those are my kind of people.
Till we meet again,