Ten things about me that may surprise you:
- I’m a stutterer. I have been since I was a kid. Most people don’t notice. Only those that KNOW may see how I work around it. I remember being so sad in grade school and then being told that “…even James Earl Jones stutters and he’s the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars…”. Well, that changed everything! I became okay with stuttering. Maybe even a little proud of it because you know, Darth Vader stuttered too. I worked hard to get through it with therapists and such, but knowing someone else stuttered and “made it” — that was everything! How cool was it when I actually got to meet him on set and talk about our stuttering issues over a meal? Yeah, priceless!
- I’ve never eaten Lobster in my life. I don’t eat shellfish, no sushi, rarely eat seafood at all.
- I’ve run three marathons. I’m not a fast runner by any means, and my last marathon was in 2004, but it was on my bucket list and it was GREAT to scratch that off the list for sure!
- I write in a journal every morning. I write – not type – with a pen and sketch book. I’ve done this since I can remember. It’s as normal to me as brushing my teeth in the morning. It’s my therapy/meditative time.
- I’ve gone Sky-Diving and would do it again in a heartbeat! I used to be afraid of heights and thought this would help. It did quite a bit, though I still have a little fear of it. It was quite the adventure for sure! (Check out the Video here!)
- I don’t like cut flowers. I love flowers, trees, plants – I don’t like that people cut flowers and put them in their home. I don’t like real Christmas trees for the same reason. Fake trees and flowers can be just as lovely and last forever! One of my pet peeves is seeing Christmas trees lined in the alley way near the dumpsters discarded and dead a few days after the holiday. Who knows how long those trees would have lived! I feel the same way about flowers (sorry Oprah). I know, it seems a little crazy, but I said “..things that may surprise you…”. Side note: yeah, never bring me flowers – chocolate YES, flowers NO.
- I was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts, but I do not have a Boston accent and never really have. Part of that is because I traveled the states so much as a kid, but get me around a Bostonian and I can, just as easily, drop a few “R’s” here and there.
- I have always been a Sci-Fi “aficionado”. STNG over the original. BSG. Scully over Mulder. Only the original Star Wars…Eureka, Stargate SG1, Atlantis…you get the point if you enjoy the world. I’m also a fan of most fantasy – Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings… Oh and don’t get me started on Marvel, DC Comics. Yes, I love all of it.
- For whatever reason, I cannot break eggs without a piece of shell landing in the mix. So, years ago I started breaking eggs in a separate bowl first so I can pick out any shells before adding it to any pan or recipe. It really kills me that I can’t do it. Oh, and chefs who break eggs with one hand? I think are genius! It’s a skill that secretly fascinates me! Ha!
- And this is NO secret to most, but just in case any newbies are visiting: I published my first book CANELA this past June and I’m now working on the beginnings of my second book. Wow. I’m now an “author”. I’m still getting used to that!
I love reading about people’s “isms”. We all got’em. It’s what makes us all unique. Sometimes, it takes a long while to realize that. But once you do and embrace all that you are, it can be helpful, liberating and kinda cool! Being unique, or different, can be a GREAT thing! Sure, it can be challenging at times, but hopefully, always fulfilling – in the most positive ways ever!
Sweet day to you!